09 February 2012

Sawyer Family Favorite {v.1}: The Avocado Smoothie







My sweet friend Megan Joy posted this recipe on her blog some months back and I fell in love with it the second I tried it. Though I never really made it because avocados are probably the last thing you would have found in the Sawyer home, I was really craving one yesterday. Since my palate has changed drastically since becoming vegetarian, I decided to hop in the car, drive the 25 miles to Whole Foods and whip this bad boy up for lunch this afternoon. And oh-my-gosh, my taste buds are going crazy right now. The taste of it is just phenomenal. The creamy texture, the smoothness. Mmm! So good. 

Besides that, it's simple! Only enough ingredients you can count on one hand, along with a blender and a cup, mason jar, whatever (I use a mug!) and you're all set!

1 ripe avocado
1 banana
1 kiwi (peeled)
2 teaspoons of raw honey
1 cup of almond milk

Begin by cutting into the avocado and scooping out the flesh. In the pitcher of a blender, place the avocado, banana, kiwi (peeled), 2 teaspoons of honey or agave and about 1 cup of almond milk, to start. Blend it up, adding a little more almond milk until your desired consistency is reached (I like mine super thick). Divide between two glasses, and serve.

That's it! 

This, (besides Clif Kids bars and organic clementines!), is probably Kiri's favorite snack now. She calls it her "'Cado Shake". And hey now, if she considers this healthy concoction a TREAT, then Mama's in business to spread some serious health around this fort. Blender, I thank you so kindly.

*If you like this recipe, or you'd like to hear (read) more, hop on over to Whole Family Fare or thank Megan Joy for the yummy idea! Trust me, you won't be disappointed. 


1 comment: