31 December 2011

Well, here we are. Another new year is upon us, which means another chance to make some serious changes. I have high hopes for 2012. And PLENTY of things to obtain, maintain and do away with. 2011 taught me a lot about life. Much of which was in the hardest way possible. I've got a backbone this time and I'm ready to take life by the horns and start making some serious strides. On that note, I've got the top eight of my New Year's resolutions for ya. Granted, the list'll probably climb to 1000 of the most unattainable ones possible, BUT! you know.

  1. Health: Since my pregnancy with Kiri, it's news to no one that I've had a zillion health problems and the most ridiculous problems with my weight. Well, this year, that's all going to change. I'm going to make it a point to go to the gym regularly---not only to rid myself of this much (not) needed baby weight, but to feel healthy again! I was a grass-only eating skinny minnie in the old days and that's where I plan to be again. I want to do more yoga, meditation and pamper myself a LOT more than I do now. I deserve to be taken care of just as much as anybody else and I realize now that it's not selfish to remember that fact every now and then. This year, I WILL get down to 120lbs and I will feel good every day I wake up.
  2. Happiness: Often I forget that life is about more than just the daily grind. We need to get out more, see more places and make more memories. Even though we're all super tired after working an insane week at work, we need -so desperately- to get up and do something, rather than sleep or waste the day away on the couch watching Law and Order SVU. We need variety to be happy. This year, we WILL travel more and try a new thing every once in a while.
  3. Love: Going on three years of marriage, Papa and I still haven't celebrated our honeymoon. Such a sad case we are. I know I said last year that I wanted to take it last year (and the year before and blah, blah, blah!) and I've finally given up on the idea---at least until we get married FOR REAL. (That's the exact reason I refuse to wear -or show off- my wedding ring!) SO, in place of said honeymoon, we're gonna make sure we take Mama&Papa Only weekend trips a couple times out of the year to get some much needed a-loneeeeee time. Plus, it wouldn't kill us to have some date nights every now and then. You know what I mean?! This year, I will become a better wife.
  4. Parenting: A lot of things are gonna be different, once Kiri starts growing up. I'm not going to have this insane closeness with her, that I have now. Since I began working, it's as though I've tightened my grasp on her little hand, trying to savor every millisecond we are able to have together. And I realize that it's probably just the beginning. I need to start the letting-go process soon, or else I'm going to have a nervous break down the day she starts school. I need to put her into some sort of social activity, on a sports team or enrichment class so that she can start interacting with kids her own age. I don't want to hinder her growth socially, you know? She NEEDS to be around other kids. This year, I'm going to be a better mother.
  5. Finances: 2011 put us in a really bad situation financially. For months, the police academy had Papa driving hundreds of miles a day JUST to and from class (not counting work!) so our credit cards, gas cards and pockets were stretched super thin! Plus, we had to take out a loan to pay for the police academy, so we had debts to the roof! Once I moved over to Saint Augustine, I started making good money, which helped some, but even now, we're still catching up. 2012 is going to be different. We are going to budget WEEKLY. I'm gonna become a lot more strict on what we do/don't purchase and how we go about eating out. There are more important things in life than shopping sprees and last minute drive thru runs. We need to start saving money. We need to have a support system. We opened a savings account through USAA like two years ago and we depleted the entire thing when we went to buy our car and it's been at $25 ever since. HA! Not after tonight though! It's gonna keep increasing until we get a good hunk of change in it. We have a goal in mind already, but I don't think we should even set one. Let it keep growing! I also need to focus on making sure Ki has what she needs financially for the rest of her life. Like a car and eventually, a home. Beginning the process early will only benefit her in the long run. And that doesn't only mean LONG term. I need to start putting away Christmas and birthday money on January 1. Not mere weeks before a holiday! Also, 2014 is right around the corner, so I NEED to start putting together a wedding fund for Robert and I. I don't want TOO big of a wedding, just something simple and sweet, but I also don't want to have to go without on the nuptials jsut because I run out of money either. This year, we WILL become money makers and penny pinchers.
  6. Charity: Consignment shops, homeless shelters, WWF (where I will adopt a panda bear!), Habitat for Humanity, Save A Tree, St. Jude's Hospital....you name it, we plan to donate to it. We plan to make this next year ALL about giving back to the community and lending a helping hand. We're purging our closets and our pockets like you wouldn't believe. This year, we WILL put others first.
  7. Social Ties: Out with the old and in with the new. That is my social goal for the year. A lot of people let me down these past few months and I think it's time for a break up of our friendships. I need only healthy souls in my life anymore. It is just too damn busy in my brain to have people weighing me down. It's time to be a grown up and learn to say "No". And though this will be no easy feat for me, it has to be done---one way or another. Because despite how much I try to ignore it, I KNOW there are some really unhealthy relationships in my life. Toxic even. And with all this extra space coming available in this big old heart of mine, I need to fill it with some new mama friends. I wanna meet ladies just like me, in my new home. I need a new coffee buddy. Hell, I need a new best friend to gossip with. This year, I'm gonna make friends.
  8. Living: Even after living our apartment for six months, it still lacks the cozy feeling of "home". I need to find the time to fully settle us in and decorate, decorate, decorate! I haven't had a single Ikea trip since being here, so I need to pencil one in stat. This year, our apartment is going to become our HOME.
Though those are no where near ALL of my resolutions, you probably get the idea where I'm going this time around. Life's too short to be making tall mistakes, so I'm cracking down on even the little things and opting to make a serious change in my life. What things are you planning to change this next year? Anything wild or outrageous. Remember to not set your goals TOO high. After all, it IS only a 365 day period. And things take time. BUT! On that same note, don't let those couple hundred days pass you by. Take advantage of your life today. Because tomorrow isn't always guaranteed to come.

A safe and Merry New Year, bloggers! See you on the flip side.

With love,

the Sawyer Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment